No Fall or Winter season is complete without a hearty pasta recipe. The best part about this recipe is that it cuts a few calories here and there. We have to save some calories for lots and lots of mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving! This a delicious and easy dinner for a chilly night at home!
Easy Lemon Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
Prep time: 30 minutes
Husband rating: 3.5 out of 5 Han Solos
12 oz dry pasta (Fettuccine, Spaghetti, Rotini… your choice! Even better if it’s whole grain!)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced into strips
4 cups broccoli florets
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp flour
1 ¾ cups skim or 1% milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 oz. light cream cheese, diced into cubes
1 ½ cup (1.5 oz.) finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Prepare pasta in salted water. Unless you have frozen steam-in-bag broccoli (my favorite!), add broccoli to the boiling pasta in the last 5 minutes. Drain together.
- Note: I used Vermicelli Spaghetti noodles because I had a bunch I needed to use up.. Fettuccine noodles would be more traditional, but use whatever you want!
- Another note: If you haven’t already cooked your chicken, now would be a good time. I usually fry the strips of chicken in a pan with a tablespoon of oil.
- In a large and deep skillet or pot, melt butter over medium heat, then add garlic and flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. While whisking slowly, pour milk into flour mixture. Whisk vigorously to smooth any lumps. Add in cream cheese and parmesan – whisk until melted. Keep stirring until smooth. Mix in heavy cream and lemon juice (I prefer more lemon in mine!). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once sauce is ready, stir in drained pasta, broccoli and chicken. Add milk to create a thinner sauce, if desired.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan and enjoy!
Inspired by Cooking Classy, Light Fettuccine Alfredo